28 February 2008

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies

One of my very favorite baking websites is Joy of Baking. There are so many wonderful things to bake there, and I really like that she has a special section just for high tea. A couple of years ago I found a recipe for double chocolate espresso cookies and I went back to share it with Amy at Clothesline Alley and THEY ARE GONE!!!! I almost cried. Luckily for me (and for you, too) I had already copied the recipe into a Word document and now I shall share with you (does it seem to you this happens a lot, I'm getting some serious deja vu here.) The only thing I changed about the original recipe was that she had white chocolate chips and I have 60% cacao chocolate chips. For ideas on sugar alternatives see here and here.


2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (I once used instant coffee)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened (if you use salted butter, omit the salt)
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. (I just spray it with olive oil spray)

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together espresso powder, vanilla, and a tablespoon of water; set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and yolk; mix until incorporated. Add espresso mixture; mix well, scraping down the sides of a bowl with a spatula. At low speed, add flour mixture in small batches, mixing until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer, and stir in chocolate chunks. (I used my food processor and it worked OK, but next time I'll just do it by hand.)
4. Using a 2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop heaping balls of dough and place 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool completely before removing cookies.

Thank you, Stephanie Jaworski from Joy of Baking, for the wonderful recipe.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

they look really yummy, but coffee flavored stuff doesn't appeal to me for some reason. i remember you eating Starbucks ice cream like it was the best thing ever. but me? not so much. but since they are the best cookies ever, maybe I will make them for Shane to take to work.

Joanna said...

i can't taste the coffee too much in them.

Joanna said...

you're telling me the best you guys can do is "i don't like coffee" as a comment on this post? are your heads in the sand? i mean look at those super yum-a-dum-dum cookies. aren't the glands in your mouth working over time and the drool spilling over your lips and dribbling onto the floor???? shocking i tell you.

Joanna said...

wow, joanna, those cookies look fantastic! i think i'll head to the kitchen right this very instant and make me a batch, because those cookies look fantastic. no, not fantastic, *divine*.

Johanna said...

Okay, how's this?

Wow, Joanna, I have never seen a more beautiful cookie! I cannot wait to make these cookies because I think they are probably an end to all the problems in my life. I think they are probably also the key to world peace! You are going to win the Nobel Peace Prize for these!!!!

Okay, actually, they do look yummy. And if I actaully ate cookies, I'd make these. Really. But I don't. Not even sugar free ones. Bummer.

Joanna said...

excellent! i am so happy that i could make a difference in the world like that.

Rebekah said...

those look so delicious! I love the smell of coffee but it always puts me into a caffeine overdose, so these sound delicious!

Amy said...

These look fabulous, Joanna! I think I need some chocolate now. Chocolate is a need, right? ;o)