This is a recipe for Tortilla Soup that I got from my friend Patti. I have doctored it up and made it the yummiest soup IN THE WORLD. We eat the heck out of it. The seasoning measurements are just a guide. I almost never measure them, I just add more or less of what I like.
· 1 onion, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2.5 teaspoons chili powder (I use Tastefully Simple's Wahoo Chili seasoning)
· 1 teaspoon cumin
· 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (depending on taste) of Tastefully Simple's Fiesta Party Dip (if you have it) IF NOT - add some crushed red pepper and seasoning salt to taste
· 1 teaspoon lime juice
· 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes OR 1 8oz can of tomato sauce (if you don't like chunks of tomatoes) OR 1/2-ish cup salsa if you are feeling frisky
· 4 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth (I add a few chicken bullion cubes to the the water I boil the chicken in, then use about 5 1/2 cups of that water instead)
· ½ cup water
· 1 can white hominy
· 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
· 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (you can use pinto beans if you would rather)
· 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (dried works just as well)
· 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
(you can also add corn, but I do not like corn in my soup)
· crushed tortilla chips
· sliced avocado
· shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or pepper jack.. mmmm)
· chopped green onions
· sour cream
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for at least 10 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onion.