08 June 2008

Migas

I hope this isn't some really common recipe that everyone but me had already heard of .... but on the assumption that this is as new to you all as it is to me, here I go~
It may sound odd, but you HAVE to give it a shot. Since it is easy to make, I will accept no excuses! (this comes from my friend Patti... where all my yummy recipes lately seem to come from)

You need- 4 eggs, 8 corn tortillas ripped into small pieces (the small size-do the corn ones even come in larger sizes?), onion, salsa and oil.
This will make enough for about 3 people (unless you are feeding my husband, then it only makes enough for 2) ... it is easy to make more or less - just add 1 egg for every 2 tortillas.

heat oil (a few Tbs +/- depending on how many tortillas) in skillet and add tortillas. Cook until tortillas are nice and crispy. (this will take longer than you think... and when you think you are done cook for another minute or 2. It is nearly impossible to overcook, but this isn't nearly as good when they are not crispy enough) When they are nearly done, add finely chopped onion. How much is totally up to you, but I have found that I need to add more than I think would possibly taste good (I am not generally an onion person). Then beat eggs, add to pan, stir and cook until done. I add a few spoonfuls of salsa just before they are done cooking, but you can add the salsa once the eggs are on your plate if you would rather.
You can also add a clove of garlic with the onion, but that is just too weird for me ;-)

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Hmmm...interesting. That sounds like quite a breakfast concoction.

Johanna said...

That looks so yummy! I love mixing corn tortillas with eggs. Once, at a restaurant I ordered a huevos rancheros dish that served warm homemade corn tortillas with an assortment of things to stuff them with to make "tacos" with including eggs, black beans, onion, salsa, cheese, and avocado. So yummy. Although this is different, it reminds me of it. Mmmm...