For Oi Kimchi you will need:
10 pickling cucumbers (not English cucumbers!)
2 cups of Korean white radish, julienned
1 T table salt
1 T sugar
1 T red pepper powder
1 t chopped garlic
1/2 t chopped ginger
1/4 c finely cut green onions
- Wash the cucumbers and rub them with the coars salt. While you let those rest combine the radish, table salt, sugar, red pepper powder, garlic, ginger and green onions in a bowl and combine them very well.
- Rinse the salt off the cucumbers and then chop them into two inch chunks. Cut them vertically 2/3 to 3/4 of the way down in a plus sign, like this. The chunks should not be cut apart.
- Stuff the cucumber "pockets" with the radish mixture. Pour 1/2 cup boiling water into the leftover juices of the radish bowl and then over top of the stuffed cucumbers.
- Mrs. Chang did not mention this part but the oi kimchi is not really ready to eat yet. This is the hard part. You must cover your oi kimchi and wait about two days for it to ferment and marinate.
* if you have a mandolin to julienne the radish, use it by all means. I didn't so I julienned them by hand. I was concerned that my radish wasn't thin enough and it would be all hard and tough to eat but soaking in the red pepper and salt brought a lot of the juices out and they were soft and very edible by the time I stuffed the cucumbers.
* she didn't say to, but I cut off the ends of the cucumbers. Also, I peeled my radish.
That's it for now. I'll let you know in two days how my oi kimchi turns out.