25 November 2008

Hot Cranberry Tea - A Thanksgiving Tradition

We don't have a whole lot of Thanksgiving recipes that are tradition in our family. It's basic stuff generally like turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and frozen corn. We do cook the corn though. There is my grandma's stuffing and I'm here to tell you that it's better than any stuffing ever, anywhere!

We do have cranberry tea; it's more of a fall/winter tradition than a Thanksgiving tradition although no Thanksgiving would be complete without it. I think my mom got it from some lady at the Mission many, many years ago and we've adopted it as our own. I hope you make it and like it as much as I/we do.

Cranberry Tea

1 bag (1 pound) cranberries, rinsed
3 quarts water
2 cups sugar
handful of cloves (or 1t ground cloves)
4 sticks of cinnamon (or 2t cinnamon)
2 T frozen orange juice concentrate
2 T lemon juice

Boil water, cranberries and spices together for 25 minutes. Turn heat off; add remaining ingredients. Let sit there 2-12 hours. Strain and serve hot, although this is also good cold.

Optional: ¾ c red hot cinnamon candies can be substituted for some or all of the sugar.

5 comments:

M said...

mmmmmmmmmm.... so absolutely yummy. though Mike thinks that you guys don't really add that much sugar.

Joanna said...

No, I don't. I like it a little tart!

Jessica said...

Oh, this looks so yummy! I'm going to have to print this recipe out!

Anonymous said...

This sounds really good. We like things kind of tart. My kids don't like overly sweet stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love a cup of hot tea. This sounds amazing, and I bet it makes the kitchen smell wonderful too! I can't wait to try some.