17 January 2008

Bulgogi For the Average American

I'm sure that this would be set down as not authentic Korean bulgogi, but that's O.K.; this is the way I like it, it's so very similar you can barely tell and it has all the same ingredients that every other bulgogi recipe I have ever seen has...so how's it different. For a different recipe, I like this one, but I've never made it with kiwi.

I find that the measurements really depend on your taste, so I'll give you mine and you can adjust to what you like. For this recipe you will need the following:

1/4 c. soy sauce (use REAL soy sauce , see scene 9)
1-2 T mirin (any sweet white rice wine will do)
1 1/2 T sesame seed oil
3 green onions
3 cloves garlic
1/4 to 1/2 purple or white (traditional) onion
sesame seeds
1 scant T sugar or to taste, you do need *some* sweetness
and of course the beef, about two pounds; let's discuss

The beef is generally sirloin cut very thin, like less than a quarter inch. In my experience, this is because the meat will accept the flavors better when it's so thin; with a thicker cut instead of tasting the bulgogi marinade, you taste beef. Not all in all a bad thing, especially if you use good beef, but not authentic bulgogi. If you have an Asian food store near you (sorry Tina) they have it there, if not get your butcher to cut it thin or buy fajita or stir-fry meat; it's not thin enough, but it'll do (this is what I have for what I made today).

In a medium-sized bowl combine the soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and sugar and whisk until the sugar is dissolved or at least nearly so. Put a rough chop on the garlic and add that. Slice green onions and add those (I save some of the greens for a garnish later when it's all done) and then thinly slice the onion so you have half rounds. Add the onions and meat to the concoction and mix it all up. Put it in the fridge for about an hour or so. Meanwhile, cook some rice.

Over medium heat cook the entire concoction (juice and everything) until the meat is done and the sauce has reduced. Traditionally bulgogi is cooked over hot coals, like a barbecue (I know, old hat for some of you) but I more often than not get it this way when I go to a Korean restaurant these days. Serve with rice and kimchi. How's that for yumminess?

On a totally different note, check out these breadsticks I made. I absolutely adore the way baking bread makes my house smell.

4 comments:

Johanna said...

That looks so incredibly yummy! I would love to make that...I wonder if my husband would eat it?? Some days I just want to eat dinner at your house! It's a shame we don't live closer.

Tina said...

Oh that looks good. I have everything I need except the mirin... I am hoping to make it out to Cambridge soon. I hear they have a pretty good Asian food shop. (though, when they say Asian around here they usually mean Indian). can't wait to try it. I bet the little butcher shop down the street would be happy to slice me up some thin meat! Thanks for the recipe. Would you mind sharing your bread making recipe with me again.... is it really hard? I always want to make it myself, but it seems so hard without my bread machine. (had to leave that back in the US, wrong voltage).

Stacey said...

mmmmm....bulgogi! I remember the days... can do without the kimchi, tho! :)

btw, I notice that your 2 blogs seem to be just for you and your buddies...do you mind that i comment once in awhile?

Joanna said...

you are more than welcome to comment here. no one else really comments here, because no one else really knows we're here. but you should check out the pita recipe, lots of people commented there! i had no idea people would be so happy about the pita recipe.