09 September 2008

Bridesmaids Dresses

Here, let me help expand on Leah's last post. This is really an email addressed to the bridesmaids (and it was too much to try and change the tone of the emails) but you at least get the links for the dress options.

"OK girls. I've totally been slacking on this whole bridesmaid dress thing.

Since you ladies are all so wonderful, and I know getting a dress like this is not every one's favorite thing, I really wanted to pick something that you all would like. I know all brides say that, "oh you could totally wear this again!" but I'm really hoping that we could do something that you actually could use again. But the more time I spend looking at bridesmaid dresses, the more I'm starting to feel like that is a hopeless goal. So help me out! (Or maybe this is impossible, and it's part of the burden we bear as women... sigh...) Ok, I'm pretty sure you've all seen pictures of my dress. My dress is big and poofy and sparkly and taffeta. So we could go with the long poofy taffeta dresses out there, to kind of match styles I guess. But it doesn't really matter that much to me, and I doubt they'd be the kind of dresses that you would fall in love with. So I was kind of leaning towards something shorter - maybe tea length or knee length. Personally, I'm not a big fan of satin dresses. I've been looking at other options - chiffon, lace, taffeta, etc. As for color they will probably be red. Although we might do black, but probably leaning towards red. I've also considered a dark silver, like pewter, but wasn't sure how I felt about it. So I'm including some links to a few dresses that I've looked at and thought were kind of nice. These are just ideas. If you like something, let me know!

After Six Bridesmaid (black lace over ivory. or maybe red)

Jasmine Bridal (this has a bubble hem, which we could cut and make into a normal hem pretty easily i would think. my mom could probably help if we wanted to do that)another idea here would be to say everyone could pick whatever chiffon dress they wanted by this designer in the same color. I'm on the fence about being perfectly matching or not, so if you all really liked picking different things, I could probably be swayed.

Impressions Bridesmaid (in red)

here's another one that I saw at a consignment shop this past weekend that I thought was cute (it was a size 4 so I didn't actually try it on). We could do black with a red ribbon.... BariJay

when looking, we were generally looking for something kind of cute, not too revealing in the cleavage arena, and generally with straps, although I did include one without. I know some of you might prefer to be able to wear a bra, so I was looking for that when possible.

11 comments:

M said...

Leah, sorry if i beat you to expanding on the post.... if you want you can delet or edit any of this!!!!

M said...

It is hard to tell but the second one has vertical details in the bodice created by folds in the fabric.

I really liked the first one nd the second one the best... I am concerned about the strapless part on the first one though....

Joanna said...

The link to Jasmine Bridal isn't working so I couldn't look at that one, but I really, really like the dress from BariJay.

Joanna said...

I think ivory or white with the wine colored ribbon would be great and it would still be useful to the bridesmaids after the wedding.

Leah said...

i changed the link to a different picture of the jasmine dress, it looks like their website might be down right now. meagan, if we did strapless, I was thinking we could order an extra yard of the fabric, and then whoever wanted wider straps added, we could do that. right now i am doing a little more research on cost and shipping times, because that really might make the decision for us since I have waited so long. :-/

Johanna said...

Those are all beautiful! I think I like the second one best. I cannot wait to see what you choose.

M said...

well I am not sure how I would make straps, but i guess it depends on the dress. For fancy dresses like these though, maybe it wouldn't be worth trying.... It is true too that there are ways to get around the bra strap issues.

Kainoa said...

Oh how beautiful they all are. Me personally I can't bring myself to wear strapless, so I am going to not vote for that one even though it is beautiful. I like the white with red ribbon with it, it fits your whole theme. I don't know how you can decide, I wish you luck and can't wait to see what you end up with!

Joanna said...

Boy that dress from Jasmine is really nice, too.

Leah said...

we have a winner! it's going to be the second one, the jasmine dress.

Joanna said...

Oh good, that's a really nice one!