20 November 2009

Dinner

Sometimes I feel like I lived in a cave before I moved here, but I had never heard of pasties. (pronounced with the short a, so that it doesn't sound like something a pole dancer would wear). The traditional is a cornish pasty made with beef, potato and swede. (had never heard of swede either, but it isn't bad)
I found this recipe in a little cookbook I picked up a few months ago. It is great. Everyone in the family loves it and my kids love to pack it for lunch because it is great cold as well. Thought I would pass along the recipe to you all...

Spicy Chicken and Bacon Pasties
2-3 slices of bacon
1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
3 spring onions, thinly sliced
Ready to bake puff pastry sheets
2Tbs milk

Cut bacon slices into 1 inch pieces and fry in a non-stick pan for a few minutes until the fat runs. Add potato and increase heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until bacon is crisp and potatoes are just underdone. Add the chilli and cook for a minute. Season to takes, then tip into a bowl with the chicken and onions.

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pastry and cut into circles. Spoon filling onto the center of each disc. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little milk, then bring them up to the middle and pinch at the top to make a pasty. Brush the pasties all over with milk, then bake 15 or until golden.

These are spectacular with some sour cream. Sorry about the crummy photo, but it was dark when I made these last night. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Wow, these sound really good!!

Leah said...

ooo i want to try this! is it about 1 per person, or more? how many do you get out of 1 chicken breast?