06 October 2008

Pumpkin Scones

In honor of fall, pumpkin scones. I like mine with chocolate chips instead of raisins!

Joy of Baking is my very favorite baking website. Anything classic or unusual you could possibly want to make is here and she's got everything you could possibly ever want to know about high tea!! I found her recipe for pumpkin scones three years ago and have been making them ever since.

Now, a few things I do differently:

1) I never put the egg wash on it. I can't get over the feeling it's a waste of an egg. Usually I brush the top with some water and sprinkle some sugar or cinnamon sugar on and it works just fine.

2) Instead of cutting the 7" circle into 6 parts, I cut mine into 8 parts. I think my circle might be slightly larger (don't know why) but I cut it in half, then into quarters, then each quarter into half, so there's eight triangles.

3) I bake them 8 minutes at first and then in 4 or 5 minute increments after that, because I'm paranoid I'm going to burn them. Scones are some of my very favorite treats so I watch them like a hawk while they're baking.

I hope you like them.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love pumpkin! I think I'm really going to like this month's recipes. I'm thinking about trying out the Pioneer Woman's pumpkin puree for this! It's good timing.

Johanna said...

I was just wondering today when you were going to put up your sweet scone recipe. And I LOVE pumpkin. Marie, I was just drooling over the pumpkin butter Ree put up and am looking forward to more pumpkin posts by her. Yum, yum.

I don't think I will ever be able to vote this month. Not for not trying all the recipes, but I don't know how I'll ever choose!

Joanna said...

Oh my, I saw that pumpkin butter, too and almost fainted. YUMMY! I don't even like pumpkin. But wow, that sounds good.

Pumpkin, the smell and the sound of the word and the color and everything makes me think of fall. I can feel the cold in the air when I'm just talking about making something with pumpkin in it. I really like fall.

Tina said...

mmm... I love all things pumpkin :-) I feel the need to make them for my british friends (pumpkin is not big over here, most have never had pumpkin pie!)
And, I have to say - thanks to Jo's crash hot potatoes entry I am just obsessed with The Pioneer Woman. She is great.
(just made Pastor Ryan's Carbonara last night OH. MY. GOODNESS. It was great)

Leah said...

I am planning on making pasta carbonara tonight! I was all set to go with my better homes and gardens cookbook recipe, and then you had to mention the one from pioneer woman. now i dont know which one to do!

Tina said...

Good luck Leah! Hope you guys like it as much as we did :-)