12 June 2007

Tired of Cutesy

Since I make baby gifts as a business, I sometimes get really tired of all the cutesy graphics and things I work with. I decided on the last burp cloth I made for a friend to try to do something a little more sophisticated, and I really liked the way it turned out!
I've been spending a lot of time recently working on finally getting new products up on my website. They have said, "coming soon" for way too long now! I don't have anything published on the web yet, but I am working on 14"X14" Security Blankies. I really wanted them to have mitered corner satin binding, but for the life of me I cannot get it to work. My attempts all looked terrible. I decided to fully back the blankie with satin and do a squared edge fold-over for a binding. I think it looks okay though. What do you all think?
I also did one that has the same fleece on the front, but I put flannel on the back. I think I like it just as much as the satin, maybe more because it adds color and I can coordinate the design with the backing fabric.
Anyway, I am excited to finally be getting these products developed. I bought some chenille today and I am going to add the option of using chenille instead of fleece too.

Well, it's not glamourous and it's work not pleasure, but it is what I have been working on! I'd love to hear your opinions on the binding...

7 comments:

Joanna said...

wow! that's beautiful! i like it better than cutesy.

ok, gimme a sec with the mitered corners...i know i saw a tutorial on that somewhere.

Johanna said...

I've looked at tutorials...my mom came over and showed me how...I still cannot get it to look right. I am mitered corner defective!

Joanna said...

LOL! that's funny.

Joanna said...

i mulled it over a bit: i do think a mitered corner would look more...expensive so i'd practice practice practice on scraps until you can get it right. it looks good the way it is though. i've not tried to make mitered corners on satin before but i think it'd be hard just because the fabric is so slippery.

that emma blanket is so pretty!

Johanna said...

Is that a hint that you want one just like it for your baby??? :)

Joanna said...

ha! no not at all. but that doesn't change the fact that it's really pretty.

M said...

I agree that the mitered corners will look better. I found an easy way to do it... Just sew the binding along the edge all the way till you just about run off the fabric. Then clip the threads and pull the binding over to the next side. The corner automatically forms itself. Then you just start sewing where the binding meets so that it looks like you are still sewing the same line.

Or you could just bring the baking material around and do finished edges up and over the front. Then the edging really will blend in nicely.

I like your Emma tag too. I have started to find that the stuff that I really like isn't the really cutesy baby stuff now that Savannah is getting older. That is a way to make a pretty blanket that can be used all through toddler years!