23 February 2008

Bookworm Sweater



Pattern: Bookworm Sweater
Book: Miss Bea's Rainy Day
Yarn: Vintage 50% wool/50% alpaca from Kainoa
Needles: US6 and US8

I'm very pleased with the way this came out. Every time I knit something that needs a lot of piecing I have a hard time seeing that it will actually turn out nicely when put together. I have all these pieces, that on their own are not very useful, with pieces of yarn hanging all over the place. So messy. But put together, cleaned up, pressed. It's something I can look at and be pleased with myself for sticking with it. The yarn is a bit scratchy, but I think it's probably because it's fairly old. I'm going to wash it tonight and I'm sure that it will soften up. I'm afraid the sweater fits Caleb a little too well though. It won't fit him next year. I'm just glad that I got it finished before the cold weather is gone. I think the next sweater I make Caleb will be a cardigan though because I think they are so much more practical for little kids.

You might be wondering why I suddenly seem to have time to be crafty. Having Josef living with us has proved to be much more time-consuming than Shane and I imagined. I was talking to a dear friend who mentioned that I can't do it all. That at some point something would have to give. That got me thinking that maybe my dear Mom was on to something. Every time I mentioned to her that I was thinking about doing something new, she would comment about how I already had so many things on my plate. So I got to thinking about what I could possibly give up, to allow myself more time to concentrate on more important things. I decided to stop studying for the CPA exam. This makes sense in so many ways. The only thing that made it hard for me to let go was the feeling that I wasn't going to follow through on something I had started. You know, that feeling that you aren't strong enough to do it all. It sucks. But, I have to keep telling myself it's all in my head and the fact that I am happier now, should validate the decision I made. And when Mommy is happier, isn't the whole house happier?

5 comments:

Joanna said...

yer darn tootin'!!! be happy mom, you aren't superwoman, you're mommy and that's good enough.

the sweater is FABULOUS!! it is so cute. you did a great job! and the kid is pretty cute, too.

Unknown said...

Caleb has unfortunately inherited my cheesy, fake grin that emerges in the presence of a camera. I can't figure out how to get him to smile more naturally. Despite this, he is pretty darn cute if I say so myself.

M said...

lol... you better believe you are not superwoman and well, you better get used to the feeling cause the more kids you have the more that feeling of I can't do it all seems to find its way out.... specially when there are fertilized eggs involved.

Johanna said...

I love the sweater!! He looks so cute in it too!

It sounds like you have learned one of my favorite sayings, "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" I say it in jest, but to a certain extent it is true.

Tina said...

I agree, the sweater is FABULOUS :) He looks adorable. I can't wait to make a sweater! and I think you are totally wrong, because you photograph beautifully!
and Johanna.... I don't even say it in jest. Trust me, if I am unhappy, so is everyone around me. This is one of my design flaws, God and I are working on it!