12 February 2008

learning to knit

This is what happens when you try to teach yourself to knit by watching videos on the internet.

About a month ago, I went to Maryland for the weekend to visit a friend of mine. While there, we thought it would be fun to take a knitting class at the craft store (yes we're super fun like that!) The class was called "Nifty Knitters" and we thought great, how nifty! Well apparently the nifty knitter is a device to help you knit... actually it's more like weaving than knitting. anyways, once we saw that we decided not to do the class, but we were already at the store and wanted to learn to knit, so we bought some yarn and needles anyways.

So, we ended up googling learn to knit videos and tried to learn from those. by pausing, rewinding, and replaying a bunch of times, i think i've got the basic stitch down. but that's all I know. I have no idea really how to hold the yarn or how tight/loose to make it. I don't have anyone to give tips on what I'm doing wrong or to ask what to do when *insert problem here* happens. Anyways, I don't mean to sound whiny, cause it's really been fun so far, I just feel like I could be doing so much better with some help. I've tried to find a class or group near me, but so far i've had no luck.

Here's a picture of one of my first attempts. It's not very even, and the corners aren't really square... but it's a start I guess.


And here's my current "project": I'm calling it a potholder, because I only have to get it a little longer and then I can say it's done. :)

8 comments:

M said...

wow, look how far you have come!!! I am impressed by you stick with it attitude. One of these days I will have to take a picture of the first blanket I did. I looks a lot more like the first try you did and never came close to the potholder one.

M said...

On a side note, I remembered to upgrade you to administrator contributor so now you can add books your reading and stuff to the site as well as postings.

Joanna said...

check out this website:

knitting help

Joanna said...

more power to you. i have this bag of lovely yarn that marie gave me and my heart breaks everytime i even begin to think about it. i don't know why i can't knit, i must have some sort of knitting-un-adeptness syndrome or something. my brain hurts when i think about all the problems. i think i've mentioned that before. ok, now i'll stop whining and get to the laundry.

Leah said...

haha that's the website I was using, or at least those are the same videos I was watching. There are quite a few or them, so maybe I should try watching some more.

Johanna said...

How funny, Knitting Help is the web site I use when I get stuck knitting too. I am by far more comfortable with crochet. I think Marie and Tina have the knitting ability here. But you made quite a bit of progress from your first project to your second one! I bet you'll get it!

Tina said...

wow, thanks Johanna... I have knitting ability?? hee hee... who woulda thought?
My problem is that I tend to be a teeny bit of a perfectionist. Only with knitting though. I have started this same scarf for my mother about 4 times now because I am unhappy with how it looks! That combined with how little time I actually get to knit and I get nohting done!

Tina said...

That looks great Leah. At first I kept just knitting and unraveling the same bit of yarn. And twisting my stitches-eek. I think you will have a great potholder when it is done!