04 December 2010

Advent and Gift Making

So I finally got our advent up and going. I had collected toilet paper rolls for several weeks.... filled with matching pieces of dreaded leftover cavity makers, um I mean the leftover Halloween candy...

Before wrapping barrel style,

and hanging. I actually used pieces of straw taped to the side and strung them that way. Originally it was to include numbers, all mixed up, but now I am thinking of just doing one a day till we get there....


If we had our tree already set up, I think it would make a great garland for around the tree.... and maybe add an ornament after taking a package down or something like that. But alas, I don't have a tree up yet, and might not have one up for another week or two.... In the mean time, I may string some lights or garland with it, something to liven it up some more.... It is also a very easy way to do advent for more than one kid. Just add the amount of candy as kids. Also, add scripture verses or advent stuff or ornaments or whatever, and there you go. I have not added too much in way of wordy devotions or anything cause my kids just aren't old enough yet.


Our Gifts we are making /have made
This is what Savannah is making for all her friends for Christmas. So, we have another six to eight of these to make. We found a pack of 800 beads at Michaels for about five dollars. It even came with elastic string, but I can't get it to knot very well. So then we tried that plastic cord stuff, and we have the same problem, but at least that stuff Savannah could string the beads herself. Any suggestions on something better - yet still easy for a visually impaired kid?

Not pictured is the bag I made for my sister in law Takako. It was a brown suede material with embroidered flowers and vines on it. When she gets a picture posted on her blog, I will let you know.
This is my knitting work that I did for Christmas for my brother Randall. I finished this one already so it is not going to spoil any surprises.
And now I am starting another one..... for another special person.
If we had time, the girls and I would make these ornaments, out of glue and yarn for the tree that we have yet to set up, and I would make this felt food playset ,or something like it, for the girls for Christmas.... If there was time.







4 comments:

Joanna said...

Cool Meagan!! You've really taken to the knitting, eh?

M said...

I like how transportable it is.... and since I now spend around two hours waiting on Savannah in the car, I find it an easy thing to do. I do find it hurts my hands and wrists some though which is what my original complaint about it was.....

Grandma said...

Nice job on the advent rolls!

Tina said...

I really love how the advent calendar turned out. What a great idea!
:-)
Can't wait to see how the knitting turns out!