I was going to submit this recipe for Corn Chowder with Chilies recipe from the Pioneer Woman. Except I didn't put the chipotle peppers cause I like to make food that my kids can eat.
Anyway, that's not my entry, because tonight I made this super yummy beef barley soup. Everyone loved it, except for Caleb of course, who thinks onions are the worst. Weird kid. Apparently Shane was the same way, so I get to blame him for the trouble. He didn't start eating onions until he was in his 20's. Is that not the weirdest thing you've ever heard?
Anyway. Here's the recipe...
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 lb. beef
1 medium onion
8 c. beef broth
3/4 c. pearl barley
8 oz. frozen peas
4 oz. mushrooms
salt and pepper
(the beef, carrots, onions and mushrooms should all be cut up into bite-sized pieces)
1. Heat the butter and oil in a dutch oven over medium heat and add beef. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on beef.
2. Cook the beef for about 6 minutes and then put in a separate bowl.
3. Add onion with a little more salt to the pot and cook until tender.
4. Add beef back to the pot along with the broth and barley.
5. Simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Add veggies and simmer for 1 hour.
7. Taste and add salt if needed.
Serve with bread.
I'm sorry I didn't take a picture. There were leftovers so I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow and add it.